Sign in to follow this  
hewwo

PoW, PoS and finality for transactions.

5 posts in this topic

I've read that PoW transactions are working in a probabilistic way ; there is a slim chance for it to never reach a final state, to never be validated. And I remember reading somewhere that some PoS implementations (Ouroboros, Shasper, Thunderella ? PoS 2.0 & 3.0 ?) had a real finality state for transactions; do you have more information about this ?

Edited by hewwo
  • Like 1

If I get this question right, you're asking what happens if a transaction is not getting into a block within a given amount of time and get's kicked out of the mempool?

Since the MemPool only allows transactions to be in there for a limited amount of time, transactions not being "validated" - integrated into a block - they get kicked out and have to be resent.

However, due the ALQOs Blocksize and Blocktime parameters that is most likely never going to happen for us. Neither in PoW and/or PoS.

Ahhh you were talking the topic about longest chain etc.

Due to our masternode system we've set to check the last 100 blocks for validity on startup (restart of the QT and/or daemon). However due to the already mentioned masternodes our "finality" is set to be 30.
Needed confirmations are 6 which means after 6 blocks your transactions is marked as "confirmed" and after another 24 blocks the transaction is marked as "finalized".

However, keep in mind that most services (even payment services) are working with the confirmation and NOT finality value.

• Thanks 1