walkjivefly

Liberio voting and what it means

5 posts in this topic

Today, we are promised, Liberio voting goes active for the first time, with the vote regarding the fate of the pre-mine.

What does this mean for voting in the QT wallet?

• Is it still supported?
  • Will it still be supported in the future or is it going to be deprecated?

How does voting work for coins still held in the QT wallet?

Can they be voted in Liberio?

• Can they be voted from watch-only addresses?
  • Some other way?

Voting can be done through adding any address from your QT-Wallet to your Liberio watch-only addresses or use the addresses within your Liberio address book and their respective balances. Any other voting mechanism, including the old voting system, won’t be supported at this time.

So ALQO are forcing the use of Liberio for voting, even though there's a voting system which actually works in the Atlas wallets.
You're forcing us to use a closed source web app, pushing us to a centralised system of governance.

What are the plans for the Atlas wallet then? Will it too be deprecated in the not too distant future? 

The governance system within Liberio is not centralized, Liberio itself is not centralized at all. All information stored in Liberio is encrypted and sharded across the network (of masternodes). Using Liberio for voting (yes you can use Atlas wallet addresses for voting by adding them to the watch only list in Liberio) streamlines the voting process and makes it easier and accessible from everywhere, without having access to the Atlas wallet all the time (only for adding them, because you sign a message to proof ownership).

Feel free to disagree and have a different opinion in that regard, but calling it centralized is false. 

The Atlas wallet will remain the full node client and won’t be deprecated, it’s needed for tasks like starting and maintaining masternodes or signing messages anyway, not to forget the additional functionality, like TOR connections, multi-send, hot-staking, etc.

Of course it's centralised. We have to go to a particular web address which can be DDOS'd or DNS attacked. The data behind the Liberio portal may be decentralised, but the access point is centralised and closed source. We used to be able to vote through the Atlas wallets running on our own machines and that is truly decentralised because each voter votes at their own personal "voting station".

Liberio does not streamline the voting process; it means I have to run a second bit of software to do something I used to be able to do with just one. And I had to add the watchonly address(es) to it. Granted, it might be nice for some people to be able to vote from anywhere with a browser but I'm quite happy with a hot wallet on my PC. 

It's closed source which means there is no (potential for) widespread peer-review. Everyone using it has to trust Kevin & co have got it 100% right and hope there are no latent attack vectors.   

36 minutes ago, Raphael Scheidler said:

The Atlas wallet will remain the full node client and won’t be deprecated, it’s needed for tasks like starting and maintaining masternodes or signing messages anyway, not to forget the additional functionality, like TOR connections, multi-send, hot-staking, etc.

Glad to hear there are no plans to deprecate the (rest of the) Atlas wallet.